Grade 2: My Community and Other Communities
“My Community and Other Communities” is organized into five units of study
- Individual Development and Cultural Identity
- Civic Ideals and Practices
- Geography, Humans, and the Environment
- Time, Continuity, and Change
These units represent five of the unifying themes of social studies, and may be presented in any order.
- Students study their local community and learn about characteristics that define urban, suburban, and rural communities.
- Democratic principles and participation in government are introduced.
- Interaction with the environment and changes to the environment and their effects are examined.
- The concept of change over time and examining cause and effect are introduced.
- Students will examine the availability of resources and the interdependence within and across communities.